Energy storage systems (ESS) revolutionise the electricity grid in the UK. In 10 years time, electric cars, UPSs, commercial and domestic energy storage and grid scale storage will all be part of a national Smart Grid, allowing inter-trading, reduced grid development costs and minimising cost increases to consumers.
At the same time, the grid in the UK is under immense pressure, as 30GW of old power stations are decommissioned and the rush to Electric Vehicles (EV’s) is about to take off. Solar and wind have caused huge instabilities due to their intermittent nature and National Grid has auctioned 200MW of initial balancing capacity to help stabilise.
These conditions have given rise to new revenue streams from the grid for ESS owners. ESS will reduce site consumption at peak times, mesh with renewable energy sources such as solar to allow cheap charging and then bring in revenues which can be as much as 20% of capital value a year.
Solar PV systems (VO, Energy Storage Systems) qualify for Carbon Trust Green Business Fund support. Please click here for further information.
What do I need?
- Energy capacity – how much energy in kWh is stored in the ESS.
- Power – ability of the ESS to deliver stored energy at a given rate.
- E.g. A 100kWh ESS delivering 100% of its capacity in
- 15 minutes – Power is 400kW
- 2 hours – Power is 50kW
- The faster the discharge rate required, the higher the battery cost and possibly the shorter the cycle life.
- Which processes / areas need protection?
- What demand is there? ( Half hourly data or datalogger to check)
- How long do you want to protect these for?
- Where will we site a system?
How do I want to pay for this system?
- If it’s large (>200kWh) and you have a good credit rating, it may be possible to install free under an ESCO scheme. Contact us for more information on this exciting opportunity
- The battery system suppliers with whom we work all offer finance arrangements.
- To maximise the revenues, you can of course pay for the system.
- ESS are subject to grants from the Carbon Trust of up to £10k
Contact Powersun and we will let you know what data we need to give you a full proposal.
Register your interest in Energy Storage Systems