On any typical day, Powerwall 2 and solar will meet all of your home’s energy needs.
A self-powered home combines solar energy and Powerwall to independently power your home day and night. During the day, solar panels may produce more energy than your home uses. Powerwall stores that excess solar energy and makes it available on demand, even after the sun has set. Through the Tesla app, you will have full visibility into your self-powered home.
How does Powerwall work during an outage?
Powerwall can detect an outage, disconnect from the grid, and automatically restore power to your home in a fraction of a second. You will not even notice that the power went out. Your lights and appliances will continue to run without interruption. If you have solar and Powerwall, then solar energy will continue to power your home and recharge Powerwall. Without Powerwall, solar will shut down during an outage.
Monitor your solar, Powerwall and home energy use in real time, and receive notifications about utility power outages.
Track how much energy you self-generate from solar and Powerwall, which reduces your reliance on utility grid power.
View a live graph of your daily, weekly, monthly or annual energy generation and consumption, which gives you full visibility in your home’s energy ecosystem.
- Looks great! Best design of all.
- Lifetime cost of stored electricity is about 12p per unit. The expected average cost of imported power over 3000 cycles will be at least 25p per unit. Cheaper than other storage options.
- 13.5kWh (units) – an electric kettle for two hours, a fridge freezer for a couple of weeks.
- Power of 5kW – it can actually run a kettle, which many batteries can not.
- More than 90% efficient
- Inside or outside
- 10 year unlimited cycle warranty